Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The War on Video Games


Call of Duty. Popular video game series, multi-player favorite and now something that drives kids toward violence? Since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, video games like Call of Duty have been under fire by parents and law makers alike.  Apparently violent video games cause kids to be more violent. This argument has been brought up many a time. Whether it was about television shows or the internet, people insist something is influencing kids. I am here to say that is downright false.  If the naysayers’ logic is right, all kids who play violent video games will be prone to violence. Using that logic, I can say that the following  is true:
  • ·         People who play Pac-Man will be prone to pop pills.
  • ·         People who play Pokémon will be prone to trying to capture animals.
  • ·         People who play Street Fighter will be prone to fighting other people.
  • ·         People who play Mario will be prone to becoming a plumber and jumping on turtles.

See how stupid that sounds? This whole video game issue has been around for years. From Mortal Kombat being too violent for arcades to Grand Theft Auto glorifying robbery and murder, all of it is just uncalled for hysteria.  I play video games all the time. I have never had the urge to go around breathing fire on sheep after play Spyro. I had parents who taught me right from wrong.  And that’s the issue. Parents. They are “too busy” to watch their kids, so they let video games do it for them. How can the kids know that what they see in video games is wrong when their parents won’t tell them.  Parents need to tell their kids what is right. Not just throw them in front of the television and expect them to learn morals. I love Family Guy, but I would not let my kids watch it to learn morals. That’s just stupid. And video games aren’t a good babysitter either. Can we just agree to not let kids play violent video games and obey the rating system? Is there for a reason!  And let’s be honest with ourselves here, how many of these young parents against video games played them while they were kids? A good number. Their parents probably wouldn’t let them play Frogger at the arcade because it was too violent. So they should not be talking.  Plus what’s the big deal with video games in general? They are excellent at teaching problem solving, hand-eye coordination and teamwork. In fact, a teacher in the Mid-West uses Minecraft to teach kids all three of those with outstanding results!
                For those of you that say it’s not the parents’ fault.  The other day I was in the car with my aunt as she was taking me to work. We were behind a bus full of elementary school kids.  As we got closer, I noticed some girls in the back of the bus were making sexually explicit hand gestures at me and my aunt. Elementary school age girls. Sexual hand gestures.  Do you think their parents taught them that? You can see my point now I hope. Video games aren’t babysitters. They’re entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment