Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gamer Nostalgia: Kirby Super Star

Welcome to Gamer Nostalgia! Where on of us reviews the game and the other reviews the soundtrack! Two reviews for the price of one! Thanks to Cody of nerdsandgamersftw for agreeing to do this! Check out his tumblr for more!
GAME by Cody found here.

MUSIC by Me
I never really played the Kirby games, so I'm basically reviewing this as a music critic. As a whole, the music is perfect background music. It's not too complex to overpower the game, but still captures the mood of the game. This soundtrack sounds very familiar to me. The Game Select screen sounds very similar to track selection music in Mario Kart. The Boss Battle theme is very stereotypical boss music, but I love it. I can picture both Kirby and Metaknight just going at it. Something about it reminds me of Mega Man. The End Game theme is very catchy. It shows the transistion between 16-bit and 8-bit music. While I can hear some elements of 8-bit music in there, it's primarily 16-bit.
The background music for the levels is pretty good. The majority of the other music in the game are just short little themes 30 seconds are less. This video here shows the different level themes and some game play footage.
As you can see, the music is melodic but not distracting.  I think the composer did a great job with the music. I might check this out on an emulator later. While I wasn't a big Kirby fan before, the soundtrack turned me on to try this game.

Stay tuned for Gamer Nostalgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment